With MMO elements borrowed from games like World of Warcraft and Borderlands-style, sci-fi, RPG-shooting, Firefall blends many elements. It has totally sweet jetpacks and set in a large open world.Firefall began in 2006 and will release by the end of 2011.
Red 5 studio tries to change people's thought on MMOFPS. In their new title Firefall, they doesn't make a team competition FPS game that sets in different single rooms, instead, they create an open world, a dynamic world. The developer says it's not an MMO at its core, but a co-op action shooter with MMO factors. From the gameplay video below, you may get a sense of Borderland from it. But the world of Firefall "can be shared with hundreds of other players."
FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH.
- - Team based Action Shooter.
- - Open world, persistent game.
- - The game is a Cooperative Teambased Shooter, not an MMO as stated by Red 5 Studios.
- - It is currently a PC only title, Devs have confirmed no Mac support for now, however, it's a possibility later down the line.
- - F2P game with micro-transactions/cash shop.
- - The game will be released world wide.
- - The game is an action oriented shooter with some MMO and other genre elements mixed in.
- - Obvious Influence from Starship Troopers, Planetside, Tribes.
- - Game is physics and skill based, twitch based game.
- - Game will be accessible to all, however, it won't reduce the challenge.
- - There will be PvE as well as PvP.
- - The Wiki Wacker is the official drink of Firefall.
- - There is a party system, no confirmation on a raid system yet.
- - Dynamic events, where things will happen with/without player intervention.
- - Towns can be under siege by the Chosen, it happens during random times and may or may not happen if other events around the world occur.
- - Towns can be taken by the NPC faction if players don't defend it, but can be retaken with missions.
- - Players can create their own army (a.k.a guild, clan, corp, kinship).
- - Thumper mission: Mining resource called 'Crystite' which allows of updating of weapons, etc. It can be dropped anywhere in the world.
- - There is collision detection.
- - Equipment changes change character appearance.
- - Two dropdown types shown in the video: Request Support from Your Army, Calls down a Thumper for Mining Operations.
- - There are player owned vehicles, one noted so far is the hover bike in the video.
- - There are passive NPC mobs.
- - There are mountable weapons (i.e. Cannon, etc), whether they can be player built or not is unsure.
- - Most likely there will be a day and night cycle.
- - Mission names: "Bounty: Beach Raiders", "Mission: Camp Attack", and "Mission: Infestation.
- - Dredge: One of the player hubs.
- - 'Melding Titan' is a large boss type mob who can attack cities, normal guns do not work in killing it, you must use turrets and so on to inflict damage.
Red 5 makes it possible for plays to take a pet in Firefall.Not only can you get a pet, but there's actually an item you can buy in the store to load your gun with special ammunition so you actually shoot the other guy's pet.
*Note:Players can register for the access on Firefall's official site.